Truck and Girl

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Getting a license.

I've looked into it a bit, but am confused.

The DMV website tells me:

If you are a visitor in California over 18 and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.

That would lead me to believe that I don't even need a Californian license, because I still have my Australian one, and that's valid for another 10 years or something. But!

If you take a job here or become a resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner's property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.

So, ummm... am I that privileged or do I benefit that much that I need a Californian license now? Just because I work here? I wish I could vote here, but I'm not sure that's possible unless I become a citizen or something.

I suppose I'll have to talk to someone. It's just not worth the risk to do something against the law.

Posted by george at 5:30 PM

3 Comments:

Blogger aussie said...

yup, you need to get a CA license... and you have to go for the practical driving test too...

yup, it's sucky

9:08 PM  
Blogger stewart said...

The first one says "visitor" but since you have a job and an apartment, etc., you have to get one (it's actually not that hard and there's a DMV office in Santa Clara).

10:16 PM  
Blogger george said...

Yep - I always planned to get one, it's just now that I actually *have a car* I need to get on it ;)

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

About Me

My Flickr Buddy IconMy name is George. I bought a Bronco II on EBay. It's red and all greek to me.

another bit of george, some rights reserved.